Thursday, January 8, 2009

A penny for your thoughts, $1.5 million for your kidney

Today, I was listening to the news as I was walking through the house attempting to wake up. So, through my haze, I passed by the television just as I heard, "A man is divorcing his cheating wife, and now he wants back the kidney he gave her." What the...? I couldn't move. I had to listen to the rest of the story. He went on to say something like he didn't think she deserved it. He wanted it back, or the value of that kidney--$1.5 million. Ummm...I've been hurt, y'all. I've been so hurt by someone that I didn't know that my tear ducts could produce that many tears. My goodness, just thinking about it makes me sad. I've also been so disappointed that I felt justified in wanting revenge. In the moment, I didn't feel like the person even deserved oxygen! He was so lowdown that he was stealing it from humans and animals that needed that oxygen. Nobody human could do to me what he had done. That kind of pain sends you into a pit so dark and deep you end up looking like a villain on a Disney movie, furrowed brow and all.

Well, I got over it. The rush of emotions subsided. After considering things, I didn't hate the person. Eventually, I got over him, and was glad that I didn't participate in any mean-spirited things that I fantasized about. Because I've lived a few years, I knew that life would one day show him the kind of pain he caused me, and that there was no need for me to wish him suffering. I'm sharing all this to say that if I gave that man one of my kidneys, and we broke up, I think I would have to chalk it up to the game. If I gave him a kidney as an insurance policy to stay with me, then I have problems, and should rush to the therapist. I understand that this man is hurting. She has allegedly withheld his children from him, and she cheated on him. He is scrambling for anything to get her back, but this is ridiculous. I really hope that he learns to forgive, withdraws the case, and moves on. I also hope he directs all this energy somewhere positive, like pursuing joint custody of the children. Ultimately, I feel sorry for him, and sorry for a world where when we hurt, we often run to the lawyers office first to sue our pain away. The really sad thing is that it rarely works to alleviate the suffering. I will pray that this family reconciles in some way. And...if this man wins the case, I hope that his ex-wife lives near a good butcher. There, she can get him all the kidneys and innards he wants.

No comments: