Friday, January 2, 2009

It's a new year, and though I am not a huge fan of resolutions--which often become opportunities for guilt and failure--a new year does offer the opportunity for fresh ideas and transformation. I am years and pounds past the weight loss resolution, a marriage past meeting Mr. Right, a therapist past coming to terms with my childhood. This year, these things just don't seem as important as they were. This year, I feel like I just want to do some work on me, for me. Here are my action steps for the year, and I am sure more will come as I do the work:
  • I will be kind to myself. I will not call myself names, or repeat and perpetuate negativity. I will understand that this work is primary, and will support the success of the other steps.
  • I will respect myself and respect others.
  • I will look for beauty, and spend time with it, knowing that the beauty I experience is a reflection of my own. I can only see what I see or experience as beautiful if I acknowledge and own the beauty in me.
  • I will care for the earth. I will determine how my lifestyle impacts her and make changes toward her healing. I will spend less time blaming government and big business, and more time owning responsibility as part of the problem and the solution.
  • I will make community wherever I go. I have found that I can be with people without being impacted by them, or without sharing my life in meaningful ways. I will be open to the possibility of new relationships. I will stop pushing people away, and lamenting that I am alone.
  • I will be transparent. As a minister, as a mother, as one who is in relationship, I will stop refusing to engage until I "get myself right." I will believe that people can love me just for me. I will have faith that people are kind and desire to have a leader who is engaging and open.
  • I will be honest that I sabotage my success. Instead of longingly admiring the success of others, I will congratulate them as I am successful in my writing, in my business, in my music, in my relationships.
  • I will risk! I will ride a rollercoaster, learn to ski, do something daring. Safety is important, but it can lead to bitterness and to a life unlived if being safe is the only goal. I am not on earth only to turn 80 one day with no scars.
  • I will speak on behalf of someone with no voice. I will sing to someone who longs to hear their song. I will touch a hand that has forgotten how a kind touch feels. I will surprise someone with a image of God and of themselves that is healing and relevant to their life and circumstance. I pray fresh prayers, in my hands, in my feet, and in my heart.
  • I will be a lender and a borrower. I will ask for help when I need it, and be grateful for when I can help others. I will remember that grace is not just giving in a spirit of unconditional love, but learning to receive without feeling as if I have to repay the gift.
  • I will start a business, not to make money only, but to share who I am with the world, and to offer a new way of doing business that is not about the bottom line or the status quo.

This year, I pray you find steps that will push you to a better you. I pray that your life is full of goodness, and understanding and grace when the bad times come. I pray that you are open to the gift within you, and that you experience peace for your journey.

No comments: