Saturday, April 6, 2013

A Sacred Lamentation


1:1  I am the woman who has seen affliction
    in the silence of singleness.
2 I stand at windows waiting for dates that will never come,

    and congratulate the good fortune of newly-engaged 
    friends through invisible tears.
3 Indeed, the old adage, "don't actively look, just wait on the Lord," 

   rings in my ears again and again, 
   limply hanging in the air all day long.  
4 Can we simply admit that there is no map to relationship, 
   no compass to follow,    
    just acts of grace or sheer luck?
5 Why must I be called bitter because I long for deep kisses
    from lips that refuse to tell lies? 
6 Shall I be the 17th wheel
    at every party forever?

7 I want so desperately to celebrate a 42nd wedding anniversary,
    to have the extra set of keys to the car, to be the brightness 
    in one's heart.
8 For now, I process difficult days by myself, 
    figure out how bills will be paid alone.
    I pray prayers for others' relationships 
    because I am sure my own prayers are unheard.
9 Cold sheets--they mock me!
    Big, dark, short-haired girls deserve what they get.

10 This kind of loneliness becomes the status of saints,
      like a lone, green leaf in the middle of the hot desert.
11 The power of kisses from long ago
      have left me with only a faint memory.
12 I look at old poetry, with lines laden with broken-promises
      and try to imagine if those words came 
      from committed people. 

13 I love love.
   My heart is still of flesh.
14 Still, this fleshy heart can't watch romantic movies 
    without weeping;
    each scene mocks me in my solitude.
15 I cannot sleep.
    Sweet drinks taste bland and useless.

16 I know it is because I was created to feel deeply,
    And now, I must imagine the faintest phantom touch, for sanity's sake.
17 I will remember the joy of laced fingers, and soft-spoken conversations,
    And I will never forget that God is always creating possibilities.
18 Even still, my heart is downcast.  
     Out of billions of people, Creator, I only seek one.

19  I only seek one, and
       and therefore, I have hope.

No comments: